Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Science of Wine - Feb 10th

If you know me, at all, you know that I love two things: Learning and enjoying life (and beauty.) 

What a fitting display. I totally stole the idea. 
On a Thursday night in February, Mike and I attended the "Science of Wine" and event held at the North Carolina Museum of Life and Science in Durham, NC. Fun Fact: My high school proms (YAY NCSSM! Go Unis!) were held at this museum. I dont remember anyone dancing, I remember people playing at all the exhibits. I'm going to have to dig up some old pictures of this. Anyway, I really wanted to take Mike here for his birthday. BUT, since we had the flu and were in no mood to go to a museum on a rainy January saturday, it will have to wait til March. ON TO THIS EVENT!!



It was brilliantly planned out, some cool science experiments, including how to get wine out of carpet (Mike said to use the enzymes in the laundry detergent..I was not a fan, as then I would have to get blue dye out of the carpet as well, HOWEVER, if you drop Red wine onto the carpet, you can use white wine to get it out :). ) There was also some experiments about the different tastes of wine based on whether they were decanted or not, and if you could tell from the smell of wine, what the different types were. Mike and I both went 0-3. Bummer. Then, there were different pH stations. I must admit that I didn't REALLY play with those much. There was also stuff about how alcohol affects your brain, and the different ways brains "signal" when someone has alcohol and is an alcoholic or not. It was cool to see research working on genetic links to addition studies in a wine tasting set up. My dorky side was thrilled. Mike enjoyed playing with the different sized glasses, and it turns out that a margarita glass holds as much a a martini glass or a tumbler. I seriously wasn't expecting it. They also had some people who were involved in home brewing. I have some experience with brewing beer and mead, to various levels of success. They had some people who specialized in Wine making there. Complete with the kits, which they obviously sell in their shop. Mike and I grabbed a couple coupons with the promise of returning when the financial situation allows for at home chemistry sets. Custom wine anyone? 

Experiments aside, there was some absolutely delicious new wines that we tried. Most of them were either from NC wineries, or were sold in wine stores that were only in Durham or Raleigh. We got to try quite a few favorite of them. I still think my favorite was the new one from Trader Joes. Luckily, I adore that place and definitely enjoyed having a new excuse attend. I know, I've lost your attention.  You're staring at the green and purple cheese on the plate aren't you? It's ok,be honest. 

 We were too. 


Not to worry, your fearless tasters were on the job. Results? The purple cheese, was some sort of delicious berry flavored cheese, while the green cube was very strongly herby. I know, I'm so descriptive. It was good, and I have no idea where to find more. But, I am hunting. 



We had a lot of fun, and I'm positive we'll be checking out the event next year. It was definitely a great bonus event. We were up bright and early the next morning (Hello 4:30, we are not friends. Oh, and the scalding hot coffee all over my hand, I don't like you.) to fly off to NYC, for Mike's Valentine's Day present. NYC :)

No comments:

Post a Comment